Hon Deputy Speaker, I hereby move without notice on behalf of the IFP:
That the House -
1) extends its deepest condolences to the families, friends and community of KwaNongoma over the recent tragedy that saw a lightning strike kill nine people and injure another 17 people who were attending a traditional ceremony in Mthonjaneni;
2) further extends its deepest condolences to the families of the victims and communities in Colenso and Paulpietersburg, which claimed the lives of six people in other lightning strikes;
3) acknowledges that storms of this nature are prone to occur around this time of the year in KwaZulu-Natal and encourages citizens to be mindful of inclement weather and take the necessary precautions when planning gatherings of any kind;
4) calls on the national government and the KwaZulu-Natal MEC for Co- operative Governance to ensure that the necessary disaster relief teams are deployed to affected areas and to provide the necessary support to affected families; and
5) applauds the efforts of our disaster relief teams and thanks them for their courageous service to our communities.