The Minister of Public Works and Infrastructure:
A(i) The Department of Public Works has identified 68 vandalised buildings within the 11 regions.
A(ii) The Department of Public Works has identified 27 hijacked buildings within the 11 regions.
B(i) The Department has put in place various measures to reclaim the buildings which include:
- Secure buildings which are not secured.
- Identify buildings which have been earmarked for use as offices by the clients and all of these buildings are in a process of being fenced and safeguarded
- Placing security on properties to be safeguarded
- legal eviction proceedings instituted
- Demolition application process initiated
- hijacked buildings were referred to operation bring back program
- Eviction orders sought through Court
- Planned maintenance for some of the vandalised properties
- Leasing voetstoots as the Department has received applications to lease the properties
- Renovate and allocate to Gender Based Violence project
B (ii) Reclaim dates are not yet know as they are dependent on the above processes.