Madam House Chair, I hereby give notice that, on the next sitting day of the House, I shall move on behalf of the FF Plus:
That the House-
1) notes the current effects of climate change on South Africa and the current sitiaiton of prolonged droughts facing South Africa;
2) further notes that provinces such as the Nothern Cape are facing multiyear droughts which are threatening food security and livelihoods of millions;
3) recognises that drought relief is not sufficient and not reaching the intended beneficiaries whilst an estimated 32 000 jobs are being lost annually as a result and 1,2 million households are affected by these prolonged droughts;
4) agrees that the current way of disaster management is not efficient and relevant; and
5) refers this matter to the Portfolio Committee on Agriculture, Land Reform and Rural Development together with the Portfolio Committee on Co-operative Governance and Traditional Affairs to review the disaster management model and introduce relevant legislation to ensure effective disaster relief. Thank you.