House Chairperson, I move without notice:
That the House - 1) notes that on Saturday, 28 February 2015 Dr Sizwe Mabizela was inaugurated as the sixth Principal of Rhodes University in Grahamstown;
2) further notes that Dr Mabizela was appointed late last year following the resignation of Dr Saleem Badat, who accepted a post in New York with the prestigious Andrew W Mellon Foundation;
3) recalls that Dr Mabizela enjoys a solid standing as a mathematician among his peers and that his professional global contribution to the discipline of mathematics is considerable;
4) acknowledges that this appointment is for a period of seven years and that it may be extended for a further term at the discretion of the Council of the University;
5) believes that Dr Mabizela will make history by being the first black African to head the institution, and that he is eminently worthy of his appointment as Vice-Chancellor of this prestigious university; and
6) congratulates him on his new appointment and wishes him well in his commitment to transforming this institution even further.