Deputy Speaker, I move without notice on behalf of the ANC:
That the House -
(1) notes that on Wednesday, 21 January 2015, a prominent human rights leader and anti-apartheid struggle activist, the Rev Mcebisi Xundu, died of pneumonia in Port Elizabeth in the Eastern Cape;
(2) further notes that, before his death, the 80-year-old Xundu was a canon of the Anglican Diocese of Port Elizabeth and a board member of the National Development Agency;
(3) recalls that he was a fearless leader who made a huge difference in many communities, through projects aimed at uplifting and educating the less privileged;
(4) further recalls that Xundu is credited for playing a critical role in the struggle against apartheid as one of the brave clergymen who used the church as a site to fight injustices and human rights violations;
(5) acknowledges that he was a former president of the National Interfaith Leaders' Council, as well as a veteran of the liberation struggle and the civic struggles in KwaZulu-Natal townships, in particular, during the 1980s; and
(6) extends its condolences to the family and friends of the Rev Mcebisi Xundu.