The section of the R62 in question from Western Cape border at Haarlem up to intersection with the N2 is declared National Road under jurisdiction of SANRAL. The funding for maintenance of this road is thus prioritised from the SANRAL non-toll budget allocations received from National Treasury.
Based on the SANRAL non-toll funding prioritisation, this section of R62 is in a fair condition with narrow shoulders and currently under full routine road maintenance for daily maintenance. In addition, the special maintenance of 33 km section between Kareedow and N2 I/C was completed in 2018. On the remaining section which is 85 km long the following projects have been prioritised by SANRAL:
a) 20 km of Reseal, and the plan is to:
- Advertise for construction in November 2020
- Award Tender by April 2021
- Hand Over Site to Contractor by May 2021
b) 65 km of Strengthening and/or Improvement, and the plan is to split this into two phases of 30km and another of 35km. The first phase will be implemented as follows:
- Advertise for construction in October 2021
- Award Tender by April 2022
- Hand Over Site by June 2022, and the second phase as soon as the first phase is completed.