1. (a) The Department is implementing the Student Housing Infrastructure Programme, which aims to provide 100 000 new beds for the Technical and Vocational Education and Training (TVET) college sector over ten years. Three pilot projects are currently underway, and the following progress has been reported:
- The Department has allocated funds from the TVET College Infrastructure Grant to provide bulk services on the Teko Campus of the King Hintsa TVET College. The intention is that the college will construct student residences with 800 beds once the bulk services have been completed as part of a Public Private Partnership;
- A student housing project with 1 200 beds is planned at the Lephalale TVET College in Limpopo. The feasibility study for the project is being funded by the Infrastructure Investment Programme of South Africa, a joint initiative to fund infrastructure projects by the South African government and European Union; and
- The Northlink TVET College plans to develop 1 500 new beds on its Tygerberg Campus following the completion of its campus master plan, which is currently in progress.
(b) These three pilot projects aim to construct 3 500 new beds as part of the initial phase. Subsequent phases over the remaining ten year period will work towards achieving the target of constructing 100 000 new beds on various TVET college campuses.
2. The investments made in student accommodation are not expected to expand enrolments within the short to medium term.