FOR WRITTEN REPLY
QUESTION NO. 2109
DATE OF PUBLICATION IN INTERNAL QUESTION PAPER: 05 JUNE 2015
(INTERNAL QUESTION PAPER NO. 19)
Dr H C Volmink (DA) to ask the Minister of Health:
(1) How many foreign nationals did the Health Professionals Council of
South Africa (HPCSA) accredit to work as (a) doctors, (b) nurses and
(c) other medical practitioners between 1 January 2010 and 30 April
(2) how many (a) South African medical doctors and (b) South Africans who
obtained their qualifications as medical doctors outside of the
country were accredited by the HPCSA between 1 January 2010 and 30
(3) (a) how many South Africans who qualified as medical doctors outside
the country and who applied for accreditation between 1 January 2010
and 30 April 2015 were not successful in their applications and (b)
what remedy is available to medical doctors who have taken but failed
the HPCSA accreditation examination three or more times;
(4) will he make a list of foreign institutions accredited by the HPCSA
available to the public;
(5) how the skills of doctors who qualified outside of South Africa will
be utilised until such doctors obtain proper accreditation from the
1) (a) 1Â 623;
(b) No nurse is ever registered with the HPCSA;
(c) I do not understand what âother medical practitionersâ means.
2) (a) 6Â 729;
3) (a) 22;
(b) There is no remedy available for practitioners who have failed
the examination three times.
4) There is currently no list of accredited qualifications obtained
outside South Africa.
5) Since registration is a pre-requisite for practising the profession of
medicine in South Africa, applicants will not be able to work as
medical practitioners until such time as they are appropriately
registered with the Medical and Dental Board.