1. The National Education Infrastructure Management System (NEIMS) database indicates the assessment history of the schools as follows:
- An assessment was conducted on 08 April 2006, 20 September 2006 and 08 April 2014;
- The last assessment was conducted in July 2018, as part of the capacity audits determination for feeder zones.
- It must be noted that visual assessments were also conducted by the school and during the school readiness visits that occur on a quarterly basis.
2. Yes, the inspections have taken place in line with the education sector prescripts.
3. There are various prescripts for inspections in the education sector. These inspections vary and they include but are not limited to the following:
- School-Readiness Quarterly Assessments;
- Emergency Maintenance queries and complaints (inspections are done by works inspectors to ascertain the level of damage and the cost implication thereof);
- Assessments done by professional service providers, once schools have been identified to undergo major capital rehabilitation to define the scope and extent of the works;
- As part of the school capacity audits, assessments were done to look at the high level of infrastructure;
- Research Assessments done by education stakeholders (e.g.) Equal Education and Section 27;
- Visual inspections are done by principals of schools;
- Provincial Legislature oversight committees conducting monitoring assessments; and
- Condition assessments done by Department of Basic Education and the custodian Department (GDID) to update the NEIMS database.
4. All claims against the Department will be processed in accordance with Section 60 of the South African Schools Act, 84 of 1996, in line with the liability.