House Chairperson, I move without notice:
That the House -
1) notes that the O R Tambo International Airport received the African Airport of the Year Award at a ceremony held earlier this week;
2) acknowledges that one of the most important modes of transport in tourism is air travel, and it is therefore critical for our country to have state-of-the-art and internationally competitive airports;
3) further acknowledges that tourism, as earmarked in the National Development Plan, is a vital contributor to the South African economy, contributing more to our gross domestic product than the automotive industry and sustaining more direct and indirect jobs than the mining industry;
4) congratulates the hardworking staff of the OR Tambo International Airport for this remarkable achievement; and
5) wishes our airports well as they continue to go from strength to strength in the role they play in advancing our tourism industry.