Hon Deputy Speaker, I hereby move without notice on behalf of the IFP:
That the House -
1) notes with concern and condemns the violent protests that took place at the University of KwaZulu-Natal's Westville Campus, which resulted in the burning of property;
2) further notes the lack of constructive engagement by the protesters in expressing their concerns and urges for more responsible protesting to allow for appropriate steps to be taken to resolve issues;
3) acknowledges the concerns of the protesting students with regard to the shortage of student funding from the National Student Financial Aid Scheme and the alleged maladministration surrounding the disbursement of loans;
4) calls on the Department of Higher Education to interact with the relevant government departments and to relook the funding models and criteria used so as to better manage the distribution of NSFAS loans; and
5) applauds the efforts of the Wits Student Representative Council to raise funds in order to help pay for students who have no proper access to funding, and encourages the University of KwaZulu-Natal Westville's SRC, as well as other university SRCs, to emulate this model of sourcing funding for students who need it.