Deputy Speaker, I hereby move without notice on behalf of the DA:
That the House -
1) notes that the Department of Social Development has traded in social welfare for office furniture to the value of R27 million;
2) also notes that this department's budget realignment during the annual budget adjustment late last year, approved that the budget for the programme of social welfare services was decreased by a staggering amount of R54 million;
3) further notes that the programme of social welfare services is aimed at helping organisations in the province that assist the government in looking after the aged, disabled, sick and destitute. These organisations will now be forced to either close their doors or look elsewhere for funding;
4) acknowledges that Mpumalanga has the second highest HIV/Aids prevalence rate in South Africa, while the Gert Sibande District Municipality has the highest prevalence rate of any district in the country. However, despite this fact, the department slashed the budget for the HIV/Aids subprogramme to R44 million, which is R18 million less than the previous financial year, ending March 2014;
5) further acknowledges that Social Relief, a subprogramme designed to temporarily provide assistance to persons in dire material need, is virtually nonexistent, with the department spending a mere R9 million compared to the previous financial years' R45,5 million; and
6) further expresses our concern that this Department of Social Development would rather invest in comfortable furniture while thousands of ill, aged and disabled people struggle to make ends meet.