Deputy Speaker, I hereby move without notice on behalf of the ANC:
That the House -
1) welcomes the release in a prisoner exchange between the US and Cuba of the final three members of the Cuban Five, jailed in the United States in December 2014;
2) further notes that with the exchange for the release of the three Cubans, the American Allan Gross was released on humanitarian grounds by the Cuban government from a Cuban prison after five years as part of an agreement that also includes senior US officials;
3) recalls that the three men of the Cuban Five were convicted in 2001 in Miami on charges including conspiracy and failure to register as foreign agents in the US;
4) further recalls that the two members of the Cuban Five were previously released after finishing their sentences earlier in 2014;
5) acknowledges that the US government is in talks with Cuba, aiming to restore full diplomatic relations for the first time in more than half a century; and
6) congratulates the governments of both the US and Cuba on the successful co-operation between the two countries and hopes that this will lead to more constructive relations between the two countries.