Chairperson, I hereby give notice that on the next sitting day of the Council I shall move:
That the Council -
1) notes that more than 200 community service pharmacists, doctors and nurses did not receive April salaries, with some in the Eastern Cape health department dating back to December;
2) notes that appropriate disciplinary action must be taken against those finance officials responsible for administering salary payments for the affected medical personnel;
3) acknowledges that this affects the morale of the medical staff and could have the unintended consequence of patients receiving poor service and treatment, given the adverse working conditions that have been created by the nonpayment of salaries;
4) recognises the poor financial management in the Eastern Cape health department, which has contributed to the unsatisfactory state of affairs; and
5) calls on the President to fire the Eastern Cape Premier and MEC and for the national Minister of Health to take over the running of the Eastern Cape department of health.